August – Bob McNabb and his wife, Susan, set out for Bangkok, Thailand along
with Rebel Houston, a grad from Montevallo and one of our single staff men.
October – Brian & Terri Firpo, John & Melody Huntand Gregg Nicholson arrived in Bangkok as the second wave of the CO Thailand team. Everyone studied Thai at Union Language School on Sirawong Road. They all lived together in one townhouse in the early months.
* Shawn Cushen arrived; worked as a campus staff person until his mother became sick. He returned in 1994 to care for her and remained stateside, married, and has been involved in the music industry.
* Jeed became our first Thai staff girl as the secretary.
* Dana Reynolds arrived. She was the senior staff woman until 1998 when
she left staff to marry Mike Ball, who is on staff with the Jesus Film Project
located in Orlando.
* Jennifer Aderhold arrived as a new single staff girl. She was on staff for ____ years until she married Neal Gooch who arrived with the 1992 CCP as director and director of the recent expansion of Campus Outreach into North Carolina. Neal asked Jennifer to marry him before the summer was over. Jennifer returned to the states as Neal’s fiancé and are currently with CO in Johannesburg, South Africa
June – our first Cross-Cultural Project (CCP) arrived from CO Birmingham.
* Betsy Lawler also moves to Thailand as a tent-maker missionary. We meet her through language school.
Opened up campus work at UTCC (University of the Thai Chamber of Commerce
–Hunts), Turakit Pundit University (Firpos) as well as Seepatum University
Onn (UTCC grad) come on staff.
Betsy Lawler, a “tentmaker” with a background in the Navigators and hailing from Bethlehem Baptist in Minnesota, joins the COT team in Bangkok.
came on staff and remained on staff until marrying Moe in 2001.
Bam comes on staff as a single staff girl. Dee comes on staff as a new single staff guy and stayed on staff until after moving to KhonKaen in early 2000.
* Covenant Church: Our original intent was to join existing churches as the university ministries arm. After consulting pastors, we were encouraged to plant our own church due to the great need in Thailand. This was officially done as we met in the single guys home.
Amy Carden, Brannon Rice, Chris Duncan arrived as our short-term commitment workers. They had committed to three years on the team. Amy came to help our growing administration arm become more organized while Chris and Brannon helped on the campus.
* Tom & Molly Mullis arrive as a new staff couple and served until Tom took a missions position with Perimeter Church in Atlanta.
Please choose the links to see how the story of COT has unfolded over the years.